What is Overwatch
Overwatch is an online multiplayer first-person shooter created and published by Blizzard Entertainment. The game was announced at BlizzCon 2014 and was released on May 24, 2016 for Microsoft Windows, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. Since then, it has become incredibly popular and has been played by more than 35 million people.
After its release, Overwatch quickly morphed into an electronic sport (eSport). Thanks to its large player base and the support it receives from Blizzard, Overwatch is set to become a highly successful eSports title that will be around for many years to come.
How Overwatch is played
Overwatch is a complex game, having 26 heroes, around 20 maps and multiple game modes. Each hero has four different abilities (3 basic ones and an ultimate) and is suited for one of 4 roles:
- Offense: heroes playing this role are expected to deal a lot of damage to the enemy team. Examples: Genji, Reaper, Tracer, Soldier: 76, Sombra.
- Defense: heroes playing this role are adept at defending key positions and objectives, stalling the enemy team. Examples: Bastion, Hanzo, Widowmaker, Junkrat, Mei.
- Tank: heroes playing this role are excellent front-liners that can absorb a lot of damage before going down. Examples: Winston, Roadhog, Zarya, Ana, Reinhardt.
- Support: heroes playing this role are proficient at helping teammates and keeping them alive. Examples: Mercy, Ana, Moira, Symmetra, Zenyatta.
Overwatch blends the multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) genre with the first-person shooter (FPS) genre and is played in a team vs team format, with 6 players on each side. The two teams pick their heroes and then fight each other on a given map in an attempt to attain the map’s objectives. There are four primary game modes, and the maps are built around these modes.
- In the Control mode, the two teams fight to capture and maintain a common control point until their capture percentage reaches 100%. Control maps are played in a Bo3 format. Examples of such maps are Ilios, Lijang Tower, Nepal and Oasis.
- In the Assault mode, the attacking team has to capture two target points in sequence on the map, while the defending one must hold them off until time runs out. Examples of maps offering this game mode are Hanamura, Horizon Lunar Colony, Temple of Anubis and Volskaya Industries.
- In the Escort mode, the attacking team must escort a payload to a delivery point before time runs out, while the defending one tries to prevent them from accomplishing this. Examples of maps offering this game mode are Dorado, Junkertown, Route 66 and Watchpoint: Gibraltar.
- In the Hybrid (Assault/Escort) mode, the attacking team has to capture the payload first and then escort it to its destination, while the defending one has to stop them from achieving this. The maps built around this game mode are Eichenwalde, Hollywood, King’s Row and Numbani.
Overwatch differentiates itself from other FPS games by giving each character an original story and a unique set of abilities. This combination of FPS and MOBA elements makes it a lot more interesting to play but also significantly more difficult to master. Overwatch requires players to learn a variety of concepts and playstyles, but also rewards them for doing this. Its replay value is simply incredible. No two matches are ever the same and the game becomes very addictive once you start to learn the basics and get good at it.
Overwatch’s professional scene
Overwatch has a well established professional scene with a lot of teams, sponsors, coaches, and analysts. As of 2018, this eSport also has an established league (called the Overwatch League), consisting of 12 teams and a 6 months season plus Playoffs (around 3 weeks). Within the Overwatch League, teams are split into an Atlantic and a Pacific division.
The Atlantic division competitors are: London Spitfire, New York Excelsior, Boston Uprising, Philadelphia Fusion, Houston Outlaws and Florida Mayhem.
The Pacific division competitors are: Los Angeles Valiant, Seoul Dynasty, Los Angeles Gladiators, San Francisco Shock, Dallas Fuel and Shanghai Dragons.
This year, the Overwatch League is scheduled to take place between January 10 and June 16. The top team from each division plus the next 4 best teams overall advance into the Playoffs, which are scheduled to take place between July 11 and July 28.
The prize pools for the season and Playoffs are 1.8 and 1.7 million dollars respectively.
Becoming a successful Overwatch bettor
Becoming a successful Overwatch bettor requires you to either develop a solid understanding of the game and its professional scene, or gain access to people who are already experts in this field.
Playing Overwatch, watching professional tournaments and studying the professional scene will sharpen your intuition as an Overwatch bettor and allow you make much more accurate predictions. In addition to this, you should also develop your own betting strategy or system and incorporate sound betting tactics and principles in it.
Overwatch news, tournament previews and free betting tips
At esportsbookies.com, we keep you up to date with the critical events that are shaping the Overwatch community and can affect your success as an Overwatch bettor. What is the teams’ current form? What happened in the previous week and who emerged victorious? Which are the best matches to bet on and why? Has the game been patched recently?
In our Overwatch section, we keep you up to date with all of these things and give you quick access to the most recent and relevant information. We also offer you in depth team analyses and valuable betting tips that can greatly improve your results as a bettor.