Dota 2 Asia Championships 2018 is an upcoming Dota Pro Circuit LAN event and the 5th Major of the season. The tournament is organized by Perfect World in association with PGL, has a prize pool of $1 million and is scheduled to take place in Shanghai between March 29th and April 7th.
Participants and groups
Dota 2 Asia Championships 2018 brings together 16 teams from six regions:
- China: VGJ.Thunder, Vici Gaming, Keen Gaming, Invictus Gaming, Newbee, LGD Gaming.
- North America: OpTic Gaming, Evil Geniuses.
- South America: PaiN Gaming.
- Europe: Team Secret, OG, Team Liquid.
- Southeast Asia: Mineski, TNC Pro Team.
- CIS: Virtus.pro, Effect.
Group A: Team Liquid, Newbee, LGD Gaming, Vici Gaming, TNC Pro Team, OG, OpTic Gaming, Keen Gaming.
Group B: Team Secret, Evil Geniuses, Virtus.pro, Invictus Gaming, Mineski, VGJ.Thunder, paiN Gaming, Effect.
For the Group Stage, the teams will be divided into two groups of eight. Each team plays a Bo1 match against every other opponent from its group. The teams placed 7th-8th from every group are eliminated. The next five teams from bottom to top qualify for the Breakout phase of the main event, which consists of four Bo3 elimination matches. The top two teams qualify for the first round of upper bracket matches.
After the Breakout phase, the main event is played in a GLS format (double-elimination bracket). With the exception of the first round of lower bracket matches (Bo1s) and the Grand Finals (Bo5), each match will be a Bo3 series.
Points and prize pool distribution
Dota 2 Asia Championships 2018 belongs to the Dota Pro Circuit and as a result, it offers not only prize money but qualification points for The International 2018 as well. These rewards will be distributed among the 16 teams in the following way:
- 1st place: $370,000; 750 points.
- 2nd place: $135,000; 450 points.
- 3rd place: $105,000; 225 points.
- 4th place: $85,000; 75 points.
- 5th-6th place: $67,500; 0 points.
- 7th-8th place: $35,000; 0 points.
- 9th-12th place: $15,000; 0 points.
- 13th-16th place: $10,000; 0 points.
Teams to bet on
The main contenders for winning the Dota 2 Asia Championships 2018 Major are Virtus.pro, Team Secret, VGJ.Thunder and Team Liquid. All of these teams have strong rosters that perform well on a consistent basis and achieve great results in tournaments. Until they start facing each other, these four participants should be regarded as favorites in all of their matches.